Monday, July 6, 2009

Boston for the 4th of July

This is where the Boston Tea Party (revolt) happened. It was all very well planned out and led by John Hancock.
John Hancock Memorial in front of the old City Town meeting place.
Our most awesome amphibious duck boat tour vehicle! Quack, Quack!
Fernando (Equador) has his body painted for the 4th of July celebration.
Maria (Brazil) celebrates in full face paint!
Kayla and Emilia in Boston for the 4th of July.

The Cradle of Liberty, the birthplace of American independence from England, Paul Revere's home and the place he hung the lanterns to worn the Americans how the British were planning to attack; one if by land, two if by sea. Boston is the place our country began. Melody handed me a walking tour guide book and told me to brush up on my facts. I had about 5 minutes to refresh my memory of 200 years of history! It didn't matter much; there were only a couple of kids interested in the facts anyway. Paul Revere? John Hancock? They had never heard of them nor were they interested where they lived or where they were buried. They were having fun walking and talking together! It doesn't matter where they go to do that! I found myself running to catch up several times as I was spending a bit more time at the famous gravesites, churches, and buildings. I found the graves of Paul Revere, Franklin's parent's, and John Hancock. I also found the memorial that marks the spot for the Boston Memorial.
The 4th of July is a very special day for my family. Two of my sons are in the military, my husband is in the military as well as two of my nephews. We are a very patriotic family and I tend to get emotional on this day, especially when hearing and singing the grand old patriotic songs of America!

I have a funny story to tell about today. I took 15 students to see where the Boston tea Party took place. The tour book said to go UP Congress Street 6 blocks. I went DOWN; the wrong way. So we returned to the starting place, and walked UP 6 blocks to the Boston Bay. There was nothing there. It was under construction. We had walked 24 extra blocks for nothing. No boat, no museum, nothing. I said, "This is where they threw the tea into the water in protest", and we returned to the hostel. Some were actually expecting a real tea party! One thing is for sure; without a map, i am directionally handicapped! Everytime the group is released for free time in the big cities, my anxiety level increases. I am having a very hard time finding my way to places when I am surrounded by tall buildings. I must be such a country girl, I don't know what is wrong!

Our group took a duck boat tour the first day and had a wonderful tour of the city and also went into the Chicago River in the amphibious vehicle. Quack, Quack! Next they visited Harvard Campus. Later that evening we took them bowling and everyone had a blast. It was a full day, and everyone was exhausted. The next day was the Freedom walk which took us by some of the most famous sites in American history. Later in the afternoon we took them about 10 blocks to the river where we were right across from the barge that the fireworks would be shot from! They painted their faces, their hair, and their bodies. We listened to Neil Diamond and the Boston Pops in concert for several hours and ate subway sandwiches. The fireworks display was amazing! It lasted for maybe a full 30 minutes. It was truly fantastic and will be remembered forever! Happy Birthday America!

Next, we are headed to New York City!

No comments:

Post a Comment