Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Buenos Aires, Argentina, South America



I'm sure this has a name, but to me, it is a beautiful alien-like flower.
Argentina is the home of TANGO! Lots of tango shows, dancers and lessons! Buenes Aires University is also where Emilia is attending University, and that is what brought us to this beautiful city.
Oh yeah, I like this partner.  Can I keep him?! 
I wish this was a mating dance, and not just the Tango!
We were only here for 5 days, but they were exhausting and fun days. Emilia registered for her classes, found an apartment and bought the things she needed to buy. We all bought things we “needed” ;0! I do believe I saw every square inch of Buenos Aires, Argentina via walking, bus, subway and taxi. I might not know the name of what I saw, but I saw everything. I didn’t take too many pictures because I am tired of taking pictures already.
OK, so this is his real partner! And they were really good!
The funnest thing for me was the tango shows, and my tango pictures. We also spent many hours shopping for numerous shoes, clothes, gifts and accessories. I am in good shape, and I jog almost every day, but Emilia wore me out! Six to eight hours of walking every day is more than my 40 minutes of jogging. Poor me went to bed every night with sore feet! Instead of wearing my fashionable cute sandals all day like the first day (ouch!), I switched to my sturdy jogging shoes, even though I was wearing shorts. Comfort becomes more important than style when you are walking all over the city!
One of the MANY streets we walked down!
I should write a book on how to travel cheap. If I didn’t buy any shirts or souvineers, I would have done Buenos Aires for five days for less than $150. That includes food, shelter, and transportation! We stayed at a comfortable Hostel that was $10 per night for each of us. It had warm water, soft beds, and internet. The bathrooms were clean and COED (new experience for me). At first I was very hesitant, but I became very comfortable there.
This area is called Havanna Caminito.
We usually had fruit for breakfast and ate one big late lunch for our main meal. I ate lots of bananas here. Yeah, whenever I travel with Emilia, I lose a little weight because she doesn’t eat much and she goes and goes and goes! It was a great trip! Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, and I am so glad I had the opportunity to see yet another country in South America.
It looks like the Washington Monument, yeah?
We returned to Chile very late on February 22. My time here is drawing to a close. I have an had an amazing experience the last two months here. Emilia’s family has been so kind and accommodating; a real blessing to my life. I truly don’t know how I’ll ever thank them enough for all the love that they have shown me. I love them so much. It will be sad to go, but it is time to move on to my next adventure. Chile was for travel and to learn Spanish, and to see my near and dear daughter Emilia. Now I need to engage in some heavy duty service in Gulu, Uganda, Africa! I have so much work waiting for me there, and I can’t wait to get started!

This says "Park your dog here"!

1 comment:

  1. Everything about BA makes me cry. I want to cry since I would like to be there at this moment. One of the things I loved was the Cabildo, located opposite the Casa Rosada on the Plaza de Mayo is the resplendent former Spanish town hall. A fascinating old colonial building fronted by arches that once encircled the plaza, back during the May Revolution in 1810. The guards outside the building are members of the revered Regimiento de Patricios which was formed in 1806. They still wear their traditional uniforms, designed nearly 200 years ago.
    apartments in Buenos Aires located in that area are not expensive at all and close to everything!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete