Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Paying School Fees


Agnes was abducted at 14 and given to a LRA soldier.  She eventually escaped and returned home.  This is her second year in our scholarship program at Alliance High, and she is one of our highest performers.

Paying school fees is a lot more than just paying money to a bank. Sometimes it is a joyful experience, sometimes it is stressful. I met with each of my girls to discuss their progress and review their grades. I took their picture and spent some time with each of them to get to know them better. I want to put a human face to their school money so that they appreciate where the money is coming from. I tell them how the sponsors who donate money are very hard working and honest people. Some of the people that donate money to us live check to check themselves, yet they find it in their heart and pocketbook to still send money to Uganda to support education. One of my donors is paying college expenses for three children of her own!
Cecilia's father was killed by the LRA rebels and her mother is also dead. St Judes Orphanage brought Cecilia to our attention.  She performed very good this past year.  

I will start with the good news. Most of the kids did very well. We have to take into consideration that we took orphans out of a traumatic situation. Many of them had never been in a formal boarding school environment and they found themselves behind. Some had a difficult time catching up and adjusting. I applauded the kids that overcame this obstacle by working hard and getting good grades. I expressed my joy for them and told them how their hard work would bring a brighter future for themselves and for Uganda.
Mercy's father was killed by the LRA rebels in 1999.  She lives with her grandmother.  She is attending Sacred Heart SS for her second year in our program :)

On the other hand, if their report cards were less than average, I had to explain that they were now on probation; either for the next term, or for the next school year. Two were dismissed totally from the program. Some of the girls wanted to switch to a new school, or switch to a boarding school from a day school. I reviewed their grades to see if what they were asking for had been earned. Some requests were accommodated and some were denied. Some were very happy, and others cried tears of disappointment. It has been tough on me the last two weeks to make these types of life decisions. “Yes” here, “No” there.
Vicky was brought to me by St. Jude’s Orphanage. She is also attending Sacred Heart through our Well of Hope program and she is doing very well.

I have also learned how to pick better candidates for the new money I have from African Promise. I learned to kindly request the formal parent letter that officially tells me the amount to pay for tuition. I started doing this after I was asked by one child in my program to pay an amount 3X more than last year! Without that parent letter stating the amount, I could be paying a price much higher than necessary. Each girl also needs to have support from St Jude’s Orphanage or a family member or clan that can pay their school requirements; things like cement, mattress, brooms, paper, uniforms, bus, etc. The NGO, or charity, should only pay for tuition because we don’t want to get involved in purchasing individual items.
Vicky found herself quite behind when she entered school and is struggling to catch up in her studies.  She is working hard to bring her grades up and is thankful for the opportunity we are giving her.  She came to us from St Judes Orphange.

School fees have also gone up for almost everyone, and the money is going to run short. I have had to make some tough decisions. But for the most part, it has been a very rewarding experience for me. It brings me great joy to know that we are changing the lives of so many young people and we are improving the future of Uganda. These girls have been given a treasure of a life time; Education . I love my work here.
Agnes' parents are gone and she is living with her grandmother who cannot afford the school fees for Agnes.  She is attending Pope Paul boarding school for her second year in our program.

As I finish paying the school fees of the Well of Hope kids, I will begin to find more youth to sponsor for the new money of African Promise. African Promise is a charity that sells Acholi beads in the US and then uses that money to pay school fees in the Gulu area. I am so lucky to be helping them spend their money on such a good cause! This is money I will enjoy spending!
Charlette’s father died from HIV and her mother died in an ambush during the war. She is living with an Auntie who cannot afford Secondary School fees because she is caring for 6 other orphans. Charlette is also attending Pope Paul Boarding school.

No comments:

Post a Comment