Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Shtepia e Shprese (Home of Hope)

My new home for now. HOME OF HOPE ELBASAN, ALBANIA
13 new language teachers and 13 new friends.
Things changed quickly for me.  Two weeks after I arrived, the host mother where I was living went to Italy to be with her husband.  They left me with their 3 teenage kids.Time to move!  I have a new home now in Elbasan at the Home of Hope.  Home of Hope is an orphanage run by an amazing and dedicated staff. There are 13 children from 4 to 15 years living here. I have 13 new teachers of language, 13 new friends, and 13 new people to love and to be loved by. The place is spotless and the food is nutritious and delicious. Life is good.
Playing games with the children 
I have been here for two weeks now.  My first Saturday here was my daughter's birthday, April 27th.  I bought a cake, gathered up all the children, and we sang "Happy Birthday" to Kayla in both English and Albanian.  I uploaded it on FB for her.  It was SOOO beautiful and it made many cry. I miss my baby girl!
Kayla's Birthday cake spelled "Keila" here. 
Monda with the children.  They are SO READY to eat Kayla's cake!
I went on a hike with the children on May 1st on Labor Day.  We hiked into the hills outside of Elbasan.  We layed out some blankets and were resting in the shade of some beautiful olive trees, playing games, and eating a snack when a lady accosted us and yelled for us to leave her field. "We were smashing the grass that the goats needed to eat."  I didn't understand all she said, but she was mad!  We stayed.  We were "kokeforte" (head strong or stubborn).  Soon her husband came by and started to toss our blankets and shoes onto the path.  We held our position yet again.  BUT then he let the goats out into the field; very big and curious billy goats (big male goats).  The goats terrified the kids (me too)!  I thought they were going to eat our clothes, our fingers, and possibly us. It was time to go! RUN CHILDREN RUN!
RUN!   
I dont like the goats either, buddy!
For my project, I have identified many meaningful projects that can be done by Peace Corps volunteers as secondary projects on the orphanage side.  Projects like setting up and monitoring a reading program for each of the children with goals and rewards.  This will get them reading at an early age and open their minds to the adventure of reading.  Also teaching the older kids successful job hunting skills, how to write a resume, how to dress for success, how to interview and other job skills. The orphanage needs someone to write grants and proposals to find funds to finish a bakery they have started to build in order to become more self sufficient and less dependent on donors.  The bakery can employ and teach business skills for the older children who have to leave the home by the age of 16 years (3 of them face leaving this year). I just have so many ideas.  I wish I could stay here and do it all....
Relaxing under the trees... 


Each and every day is a gift of joy at the Shtepia of Shprese, or Home of Hope.  It is a Christian organization and I definitely feel the spirit here.  It has been food for my soul.  In fact, it is the first time I have come into such a spiritual environment since I left the US 3 years ago.  I needed this in every way. Every evening we read a few Bible verses and discus it, we say prayers before bed and before every meal. Sometimes I hear my name in the prayers the children say. All of this is done in total Albanian. I marvel how I ended up here.  What a blessing it has been to my life.

 
I read to the younger kids.  I play UNO, watch videos, teach English, learn Albanian, and help when they let me with anything that needs to be done. I am only here in the evenings as I leave for school early in the morning and return in the late afternoon when my homework is done. Every evening I get 13 hugs and kisses before bed. I love these children so much.  It will be hard to leave.
Other Staff at Home of Hope
The weather went from cold to hot in the past two weeks.  I love it.  I will never complain about the heat. No more heavy socks or boots or coats or long underwear or 10 blankets.  Everything is green and growing fast.  Days are passing too.  Next week I will visit Kocove, my new site.  I will meet the people I will be working with and see my apartment. It's a lot to look forward to.....
Last Sunday was Orthodox Easter.  I was invited to a friend's house, and it was quite a celebration.  Here we are holding an entire roasted sheep!
The Sheep is cooking on a spit. 
A large happy family, lots of great food, laughing, and good times! 
Sheep Head.  It's whats for dinner! 
...and even some dancing....

1 comment: