Monday, October 5, 2009

Joy Center for Children with Autism and Related Developmental Disorders


Tying an autistic kids hands behind their back was not uncommon before the Joy Center.


The Joy Center is a special place for special kids!


Kayla and Jo Jo


Monday, October 5th Today I am writing you from the office of the Joy Center.  Kayla was playing jump rope with the kids earlier, and now she is in the T.V./Music room working with the kids.  There are different classrooms for different areas. There is a sensory and massage room, a beginning academic room where letter sounds are learned, and an advanced learning room where they work on basic computer programs and start to learn to read.  There is a life skill room where they learn to clean themselves, brush their teeth, make a bed, learn to sit still, play nice together.  There's another room where they work on fine motor skills like folding things, stringing beads, and matching shapes.  They teach the older ones basic cooking skills and basic life skills so that they can hopefully one day take care of themselves.  It is an amazing place!  The staff ratio is one teacher per two students.  I am so impressed, and I've only been here a couple of hours.  We have so much more to learn and do here.  I can't wait to dive in and work with these great kids.  We have so much to learn.  About 40% of the kids here are non verbal, so I don't know how we comunicate yet, but I am sure we will learn.  They are sweet kids. There are about 62 kids at the school at this time, with another 20 coming within the next few weeks, so Zemi is getting busy!

Are trip here was long, long, long.  My ankles were so swollen.  I slept a good bit; in fact, I don't even remember stopping in Rome for an hour.  Slept right through it.  We had wieght issues with our luggage in DC with Ethiopian Airlines, but they eventually let us bring all the crayons and pencils rather than leaving them in a great pile in the middle of the airport floor!  I also think customs, in Ethiopia, thought we might be reselling the supplies, so I mentioned Rotary, Polio, Autistic Joy School, about anything they might understand to have mercy on us and let us through!  They let us go....

We are staying with Zemi Yenus, the founder of the Joy School in 2002, and a fellow Rotarian.  Her son, Jo Jo, 18 is autistic.  He met us with enthusiasm last night, but was especially happy when he spotted Kayla's M&M's!  We gave him a basketball, and he was SO happy! We had a great night sleep last night.  The bed is great, the food is wonderful and fresh and different.  We eat with our fingers-so cool!!  We are loving the sights, the sounds, the smells, the people, and everything that Ethiopia has to offer.  I am so happy to be here and to be doing this.  I can't post pictures right now.  No pictures are allowed at the school, but I will post other pictures of Kayla and I and Zemi and Jo Jo later when I have the means.  Take care and know we are safe and sound.  Love to all, Rhona

1 comment: