Friday, October 2, 2009

Our adventure to Africa begins today!

Kayla is modeling one of the school uniform shirts we are donating.

Aloha to everyone! Today is a big day for Kayla and I. We are embarking on the adventure of a lifetime! We are headed for five weeks to Africa. It takes about 30 hours of flying time to get to Ethiopia, not to mention the layovers. Today is Friday, and we will get there on Sunday night. Ethiopia is 13 hours ahead of HST.


The first two weeks, Kayla and I are staying with Zemi Yenus who owns the Joy Center for Children with Autism in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. She is a fellow Rotarian. We will be helping her out at the school with the kids, and even helping her with the business end of it. Whatever she needs. On October 17th, we will join abut 60 other Rotarians from the Washington and Canada area and spend a week doing polio immunizations around the countryside of Ethiopia, visiting schools, handing out school supplies, doing service and visiting places that need our help. It is an amazing group of people, and it is an amazing opportunity. The last week, about 20 of us are going to Uganda for more service work. I have my own little project there that I have raised funds for. It is a grinding mill for a very remote village in Northern Uganda. This grinding mill will provide relief for the village women as well as a source of income for the village as they trade with other villlages for the use of the mill. I plan on taking lots of pictures, lots of video, and sharing it all with you.


This is my 3rd trip to Ethiopia, but this is a very special year. I am taking my 15 year old daughter, Kayla. She will have an opportunity to see the suffering of others, to serve others, and to help others. She will reach outside of herself, and her comfort zone to be of service to others in this most critical time of her life. She will return a different person, a more grateful person, and a less worldly person. She will learn that serving others is the key to a happy life. She will be grateful for the life she lives and the blessings she enjoys. One cannot travel to Africa and do what we do and not become a better person. It is not easy. We cry lots of tears. We see unimaginable suffering and sadness, but we also get to experience the joy that we bring to others by a simple pencil, or a box of crayons. To some, that is the most wonderful gift; and we become part of their life for a day.


Sometimes, such simple things bring such great joy. That is so amazing. It makes me appreciate everything I have so much. My safety, my home, my food, my family, my job. I am so very blessed, and so this is my motto as I travel the next 5 weeks: BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN GIVEN MUCH, I TOO MUST GIVE!


I have so much to take with me: pencils, pens, crayons, 60 uniform shirts for the Autistic school, clothes and personal belongings for 5 weeks, medicines, enough finances, a little comfort food, gifts for hosts, etc... We have four big bags to check, two carry on suitcases, and two backpacks!


I have done the cleaning, the laundry, paid the bills, washed the dogs. It is time to go. I will miss everybody. I have never, ever been gone this long, so I am a bit nervous this time. I am also arriving alone, not with 60 other Rotarians! Pray for me, Kayla, our safety, and service. We will keep you in our prayers as well. I don't know how often I will get to a computer, but I will definitely be keeping a journal, and will post everything as soon as possible, so keep checking my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment