Sunday, November 1, 2009

Kalang Grinding Mill in Northern Uganda




Kalang Grinding Mill before ceremony
The first time I went to Africa, I watched other people do their projects in 2007.  The next year in 2008, I helped Sonya raise money for her Well of Hope.  This year, I raised money with a couple of other prople for our own project.  My project is a grinding mill for a very remote village in Northern Uganda. The ladies of the village must walk very far to grind their grain, or grind it by hand which is very time consuming.  This grinding mill will provide relief to them as they will be able to grind their grain in just minutes.  It will also provide an income for the village as they take in grain from other villages for a small amount of money to pay for the diesel and other village necessities.




Last year when we visited the village, a very brave and old lady stood up and spoke her mind about the real needs of the village.  She was told to sit down, but because she spoke up, one of her requests, a grinding mill, became a reality for her today.  She was crowned and celebrated and honored.  I have a great picture of her.


Frederick Ocaya Bese is the civil engineer from "Frontline Engineering" in Gulu that installed the mill.  He did an amazing job.  There is a counsel of 9 people (5 ladies, 4 men) that will make all decisions regarding the mill.  So my project helps ease the lives of these village women and is run by women as well.  There is also a training and maintenance plan in place. Our ceremony was undescribable and just awesome! Yes, I even danced with the villagers.  It was great!




We were greeted with such ceremony and joy.  There was dancing and drums and speeches and recognition and pictures.  I cut the ribbon for the official opening of the mill.  There were already many bags of grain lined up for grinding from local women.  Everyone was so happy to have this new grinding mill. Because of the popularity of grinding mill, the villagers asked if there was a possibility that we could build a latrine, an awning for shade as the ladies wait their turn, and a borehole water well for water!  My little grinding mill is turning into a little town! One thing at a time.....


Rotarian ray Connell from Seattle is my partner on this project
Our day was right our of a National Geographic show.  I have a million photos and a great video of the mill.  Thank you to everybody that donated to this project and made it happen.  We made the lives of many people very happy.  We made a difference today.  Service above self- that's what Rotary is all about. Today was a very happy day for me that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment