Sunday, November 1, 2009

Village Market and beautiful children


Gulu Market                                             Child with sling




We went exploring today in the local Gulu market.  It was busy and full of beautiful vegetable displays, sewing shop after sewing shop, stinky fish markets, and everything and anything you might want to buy.  About the only thing I was really after in Gulu are the famous Acholi paper bead necklaces.  These beautiful beads are made by the Acholi women and they sell them to support themselves.   The beads are made of tightly rolled strips of magazines and posters and then varnished to a shiny finish.  They are very colorful. They are popular and you can even find them at the Ala Moana Mall in Hawaii for $40-$80.  We were buying them for 3000 to 4000 schilling, which is $2-$3!  I bought some for our club's silent auctions, for my own personal use and for Christmas gifts. 


He's not quite sure what we are up to....


Many children suffer from worms that swell their bellies
This particular blog will also have some of the best of my pictures that I have taken of the beautiful Ugandan children.  I had to be selective as I have so many.  Their eyes are so big, and their teeth are so beautiful.  The skin is so dark and although they are very shy, I got some beautiful smiles!  I will miss Uganda as i am preparing to return home soon.  We will defintiely be back next year, perhaps for a longer period of time.  I think the orphange could use Kayla and my help.  There are still so many things that Gulu needs as the kidnapped children continue to return from the bush and get rehabilitated into the real world again.  This is a place that has just been devastated by war asthe world sat by for 25 years and did very little.  We have a lot of catching up and aid to offer these beautiful people.



A very common site as the children are the fetchers of water for their family



Everyone is waiting for the well to be fixed and a clean drink of water

This picture needs no words

No comments:

Post a Comment