Sunday, July 24, 2011

I am in Dehradun, Northern India now!


This is where I am staying.  The Shree Seetaram Ashram, Dehrandun, India 
My street. 
I have been here for one full week and I haven't taken a single photo!  So sorry for that!  I will try to do better.  I arrived on Sunday, July 17th in Delhi.  I wasn't able to get on the safer and faster Shatabdi Express Train to Dehradun from Delhi.  A friend of mine in Gulu booked me on a very slow, crowded, super packed train which I just couldn't imagine getting on with all of the luggage I had. India just experienced a series of train crashes and a large terrorist bombing in Mumbia, so everyone is on high alert here. I ended up coming to Dehradun by vehicle; a bit more expensive, but safer and more comfortable, and way more convenient.
This is a monkey in the field.
It took me a few days to get used to the Indian food.  It's very spicy and hot; even the breakfast food.  For several days, I had to switch to oatmeal for breakfast and boiled pumpkin (no spices) for dinner. The Ashram is total vegetarian food; not even eggs.  Every meal is chapati, daal, and a vegetable. The other day I went into the kitchen, saw a peeled, uncooked vegetable on the counter and ate some of it.  My throat and mouth immediately started to feel very sore and constricted.  I thought I had poisoned myself.  I was truly scared.  What had I done?  It turns out that "albi" is a taro root that is toxic until boiled.  Lesson learned: Don't put anything unrecognizable in my mouth again!
The Forest Research Institue was originally British Government Offices.
I am at the Shree Seetaram Ashram.  My schedule is like this: 5:30-6:45am walk, 7-8am yoga, tea, shower, breakfast at 10am, volunteer work in the afternoon, yoga again 5:30-6:30, dinner, read, computer, bed. It does a body good! :D

My new friends of the Rotary Club Dehradun Central. We are having a blood drive.
I have made contact with the Rotary Club Dehradun Central.  I participated in a blood drive with them this morning.  Yes, I gave my foreign blood to the India Blood Bank!  I knew most of the Rotarians from my visit here last year, but there were some new faces and new names.  They asked me to speak at the club on Friday night. Oh No! Of course, talking has never been a weakness of mine, so I said "yes".  Rotary is a family every where you go in the world.  When you are a Rotarian, you are never far from a group of friends who are like minded.  We are all over the world.

Rotary President Kailesh and PP Sameer...he is not looking to well...
I also made contact with Latika Roy Foundation and will start volunteering where ever they need me this week.  As for traveling, there are three things I would like to see while I am in India; the Taj Mahal, the Golden Temple, and Mussoori. I have a lot to look forward to in the next three months...

No comments:

Post a Comment