Saturday, September 17, 2011

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia



View from my window in Addis Ababa 
I have arrived in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia a month before I had planned. I will be meeting the large group of Rotarians from the US and Canada and Hawaii on October 16th where we will engage in humanitarian projects and polio immunizations, hopefully among or near the Somalia refugees in Ethiopia. Until then, I am staying with my friend Zemi Yenus and her son.

 Zemi owns and operates a successful school for autistic kids called The Joy Center. I volunteered there two years ago. It is a wonderful place and the children there are so very fortunate. Zemi started this school on her own many years ago because there was no facility in Ethiopia for Autistic kids. Now the Joy Center is the best center in all of Ethiopia. After the New Year holidays are over and when Zemi returns, I will work at the school every day. I look forward to seeing some of the same kids.
Zemi has been unexpectedly held up in the US, so I am hanging out at her house for the time being. I am attending the local Rotary Club meetings, making new friends, and waiting for her return. Her sister keeps me company as well as other Rotarians. The pictures I have posted are from my last visit. I just haven't been taking new pictures yet.
Lovely Zemi! 
A sample of the wonderful food here!
I love Addis Ababa so much. The music is upbeat and cultural. There are many goats on the road being herded to their next feeding spot. Going to a foreign country is a bit like entering an alien world. All of my senses are experiencing new sites and sounds and smells. And the food is WONDERFUL; fresh fruits and vegetables, beans and lentils, and salads are always served with the local high-protein flat bread called Injera. Living in Ethiopia is very exciting! I am looking forward to a wonderful month....


No comments:

Post a Comment