Friday, September 30, 2011

My Priceless Scarf

To you this is just a picture of a scarf, but to me it is a priceless gift. During the 4th Anniversary Celebration of ANHO (Abiy Negussie Humanitarian Organization) gifts were presented to Tony, Helen and Abiy. I was such a new comer to the crew, that the organizers were not aware that there was a fourth person. The mothers in the audience decided to take up a collection amongst them to buy a gift for the newcomer (me). A basket was passed around and they put what little money they could; one birr here, one birr there. One of the ladies had no money on her, so she took off her silver ring and placed it in the basket. What was in the basket was taken to the market and my scarf was purchased. All of this happened without my knowledge. I was not expecting a gift of any sort.
Hana and I.  In 2008 she lived on the streets of Addis Ababa.  Now she is living with her grandmother and is going to school, happy, and healthy. 
Walking to Selam's house...
They called me back up to the stage and presented me with this most lovely scarf. It is probably the most precious gift I have ever received because of the sacrifice that was made for it. In many ways and for many years, I will treasure my beautiful Ethiopian scarf of Red, Black and Yellow.
Selam, a child of ANHO welcomes us into her home. 
I am giving Selam the gifts from her UK sponsor. Selam was a former street child, but is now living with her mother and is in school.  Her future is brighter because of ANHO.

On another day, I visited two of the ANHO children in their homes. My first stop was Hana. In 2008 Hana was six years old. With both parents gone, and her grandmother unable to support her, she was living alone on the streets of Addis Ababa. After ANHO heard her story, they offered her grandmother practical support that enabled her to look after Hana. Just $15 a month from Eliza in the UK has allowed Hana to return to school and has given her a stable, happy home and a brighter future. Eliza sent Hana a gift from the UK, and I had the opportunity to give it to Hana. She was very happy, and I was honored to do it. Eliza, you are changing the life of this little girl.
My next stop was Selam’s house. Her house is a very small, humble abode. It was wall papered with newspaper so neatly glued up. It was very tidy and comfortable. Due to the Meskel Holiday, fresh flowers and grass were laid on the floor. Selam also received gifts and she sends her greetings and thanks to Eliza in the UK. She tried the new clothes on and they fit perfect. Another happy little girl!

Just $15 a month is enough to sponsor a child’s educational, financial and healthcare needs. ANHO is totally reliant on voluntary funds from individuals and organizations. They need your kind and generous support to achieve their goal of giving 250 young street kids a chance at a better life. This is truly a genuine organization that I have personally become involved in and I give my seal of approval! If you want to help the street children of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia find their way home, visit www.anhoe.org to donate, support or find out more about their work.
Meskel celebration iin the street. 
Meskel is the celebration of "finding the cross".  A very big day of singing, dancing and celebrating all over Ethiopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment