Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A History Lesson for Rhona


Holy Trinity Cathedral in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 
I spent the morning yesterday having a history lesson at Holy Trinity Cathedral. It is dedicated in memory to those who died while resisting the Italian occupation, both Ethiopian and British. It is also where the tombs of Haile Salassie and his wife are. The Cathedral is adorned with many beautiful stained glass windows and intricate paintings on the walls and ceiling.


There was 20 years of terror and senseless killing by the Derg Regime in Ethiopia inthe 1970s. I had never learned this. I learned that a whole generation was killed and it was even considered to be genocide. I was moved by the photos and paintings of the murders. There is a museum near Meskel Square about the period of the Derg Regime that is graphic and horrid in detail about the massive murders. There are even murdered human bones on display. It was a very difficult time for this country.
Haile Salassie's tomb 
An artists painting on the killings and mass graves. 

I was embarrassed that I was so ignorant of this horrible history. I am appalled that this man is still alive and was never tried for his crimes against humanity. A fellow ET Rotarian with us was looking at photos of the people killed, and he was saying, "I know this man's son. My dad knew this man, etc". It was very moving.

I once expressed dismay to someone on my travels about their lack of knowledge of Hitler and WWII. I thought everyone should know about this horrible war and genocide. I learned a very important lesson today; I lack so much knowledge of other country's battles and history. I am ignorant about so much murder and genocide and atrocities committed against mankind. It seems every country has their "Hitler", and that perhaps there is even someone worse than him. I still have so much to learn...
View of Addis from the oldest hotel in Ethiopia, Taitu Hotel in the Piazza.

No comments:

Post a Comment