Saturday, November 5, 2011

My first trip to the UK


Tony told me we were going to the greatest place on Earth.  I thought he meant Buckingham Palace or Big Ben (below), but my first stop in London was The Chelsea Football Club!  Yeah, he's a big fan! 
I'm never quite sure how to correctly address this country; the United Kingdom, the UK, Britain, England?  It has so many names.  Is one better or used more often than the other?  I use "UK" only because that is how it is referred to in Uganda where I have spent a lot of time.  The UK and Uganda have a thick history with each other.  I hope I label these pictures correctly!
Parliament Building 
Buckingham Palace through the car windshield. 
The UK was an unexpected and very pleasant addition to my agenda.  It became the 10th country in 11 months for me (Chile, Argentina, Peru, Uganda, China, Kenya, India, Ethiopia, UK, US). I introduced you to my UK friends Abiy Negussie, Tony Sharma and Helen Johnson in a prior blog about traveling to Asella, Ethiopia.  I proudly became part of the ANHO family (Abiy Negussie Humanitarian Organization).  We help raise funds to get street children of Addis Ababa into safe and secure homes and back into school.
2012 Olympic Countdown Clock
The Beautiful London Tower Bridge 
Tony invited me to join them in Redbridge, UK at a ceremony with the Ethiopian Ambassador and the Mayor of Redbridge to acknowledge the new relationship between Asella, ET and Redbridge, UK.  It was also a ceremony to acknowledge the naming of "Redbridge Road" in Asella.  Abiy Negussie's humanitarian work was also discussed, displayed and promoted.  It was a wonderful presentation and everyone was so impressed with all the good things that ANHO and Rotary are doing in Ethiopia.
Redbridge Mayor, Me and the Ethiopian Ambassador. 
Helen Johnson next to the Mayor of Tower Hamlets and Chris Cummings, the Mayor of Redbridge.  
Tony picked me up very early Saturday morning at LHR Airport and took me on a whirlwind tour of London.  As I am not a huge history buff, I enjoyed the quick tour of all of the major sites in the city in drive-by fashion.  I saw everythng I wanted to see in about an hour.  Somehow, Tony, I got home without a SINGLE picture of you!  So sorry!
Tony laughed at me when I first asked him if we could go to "Stonehedge" (with a D)! 
I spent 4 great days with my new friends.  On the last day, before taking me to the airport, Tony made a HUGE sacrifice of his day and drove me ALL the way out to STONEHENGE!  I have decided this has to be one of the "Wonders of the World".  It was breath taking!  Wonderful! Full of mystery and history! Imagine; something is still standing after over 5,000 years!  What was it built for?  How did they build it?


 My time was short for this first trip to the UK, but I will return soon. I have a feeling there are still a lot of things I need to do and see here.  Thank you Tony, Helen and Abiy for inviting me, for your hospitality, and for bringing me into your family.  It was a wonderful end to my 11 month trip of service around the world.  I now return home to Hawaii, USA to figure out the next stage of my life.....stay tuned because it's sure to be another adventure.
After almost two more days of travel, my son, Jeremy picked me up from the airport.  I hadn't seen him for a year and he has grown up!  He served 5 1/2 years in the US Coast Guard and is headed to University in Texas to study Geology.  I will sure miss having him on the Island with me. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that you are back in the good ole USA, again! You had an amazing year and did an amazing amount of good!!! Consider yourself an AMAZING PERSON!!! My daughter and I took a week before she got married to visit England. It is such a beautiful country, full of history! I was surprised that Stonehenge is basically out in the middle of nowhere! We saw a lot of neat things there, and I would love to go back and see more. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete