Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Rotarians in Ethiopia


65 Rotarians from the US, Canada and UK came to Addis Ababa for the annual Polio Immunization Day and other service projects.  After traveling alone for almost a year, I found it difficult to become a member of a large group. Groups move slowly, there is lots of hurry, hurry then wait, wait, wait! Someone is always bossing every around too much. I practiced my deep breathing skills and tried to let it pass.  I was also still at Zemi's house, so I wasn't staying with the group.  So this year, I didn't get to know everyone really well like in prior years.  I was still wrapping up some of my own work I had been doing with ANHO, the Street Kid project I wrote about previously. I was training their staff with Quickbooks and entering their 2011 financial data into the system so that they dont have to pay an accountant to do the daily work.  I will share some of the things that I WAS involved in though.
Sonya and I at the Black Lion Hospital in Addis Ababa 

These doctors from Seattle have really made a difference at the Black Lion Hospital. 
Sonya and I visited the Black Lion Public Hospital.  The conditions we saw are undescribable.  A hospital in this condition in the US would not only be shut down, but condemned.  The sterilization equipment was archaic and the conditions of the building and equipment or lack of equipment is mind numbing.  Before these Seattle doctors arrived, there was no post op room, so after surgery, a patient would just go to the main floor.  It wasn't uncommon for the surgery patient to die because he wasn't being properly monitored. These Seattle doctors have brought tons of equipment and given training to the staff at the hospital trying to make it a safer place.  My hat is off to this organization.
Sonya and I in our Team shirt
We had some fun nights as well.  Rotary isn't all work.  In the evening, we would be hosted at times by other Rotarians at their home or in restaurant.  The large group arrived on Sunday.  We had meetings and they rested after their long flight.  Monday I left the group to continue my accounting work with ANHO (the Street Kid program). The group went to the Polio Clinic and Fistula Clinic which I had been to numberous times already.  Tuesday was the Well of Hope dedication.  Wednesday we had the hospital tour and various other projects.  We then had the afternoon off to prepare for the flight to Asossa or Gondar early Thursady morning for the Rotary Polio NID.
Tony (UK), Sonya and I at Umberto's house for dinner. Natalie, his wife, and his mother is also in the picture with us.  It was a delicious dinner and wonderful evening! 
Another dinner...FUN!!
Sonya is having a blast dancing!
Ben, Sonya, and I at the Jazz Club in Addis Ababa, ET

1 comment:

  1. Sister,
    I miss you! Keep up the great work. Hope tosee you again soon.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete