Sunday, February 5, 2012

I'm Back in Gulu

I went from very cold England (borrowed the coat) to HOT HOT Uganda!!

After spending a month in England visiting old friends and making new ones, I have returned to Gulu, Northern Uganda.  It is the beginning of a new year.  I will be busy for the first month paying school fees for my Well of Hope Foundation kids (about 20 kids).  I will pay the school fees for the African Promise kids as well (about 20 or more).  That’s a lot of report cards to review, a lot of trips to the bank, a lot of bank forms to fill out, copy and organize. It also brings me a lot of pleasure and joy.  Lucky me J
England was a very lovely place (They like the word “lovely”).  I wasn’t prepared at all for the cold weather.  I just don’t like being cold. I stayed with Mark and Shelley Scribbins, who were my friends from Hawaii before they moved across the Atlantic to Margate, Kent, England. It was very kind of them to host me in their cozy home.  Shelley is a great cook, and I came away from her home with a few added pounds.  It was worth it though; I will get them off in Africa. With two teenage kids at her house, it reminded me of my own busy days raising kids; all the shopping, cooking, cleaning and never ending washing. 
This isn't as good as Shelley's gourmet cooking, but it's my favorite dish here! 
This is Gladys' third year in my program.  She was the first child sponsored from St Jude's Orphanage.
As always on my travels, I learned so much from my stay there.  I came away wiser. I hope I left some gifts of wisdom as well.  It’s a give and take experience when I stay with a family for awhile. I lend a hand where I can, a shoulder and an ear, tell a story, and share my life and my love. In return, I get friendship, meet new people, and eat great food, laugh, and have “new” experiences. It’s a win win situation.
A New Pool In Gulu to enjoy :)
This is where i am living. Solar power, flushing toilet...just like home :)
This year in Gulu I will be spending time with Aid Africa helping them out with their accounting and working in the field; planting trees, assembling and mudding stoves, and fixing borehole wells.  I have always been attracted to the good work that Aid Africa is doing.  It is supported by many Rotary Clubs in the US.  The staff is kind and fun to be with. The work they are doing is important.
Greeting new friends at St Jude Orphanage. 
Jackie and Ronald are the Social Workers that help select the children we sponsor.
I know the question that is on many of your minds.  Don’t I miss my family?  Of course I miss them greatly; so so much!  My three boys are in Texas now; one in the Coast Guard, one in University, and the other working.  They are all living near each other for the first time in many years. They are taking care of each other now, and that makes me so relieved and happy.  I lived and worked far away on an Island, so whether I am in Africa, or I am on the Island of Oahu, I was/am far away. My daughter is in good hands.  I pray for her every day, and send her my love. She is working on completing her education.
These stoves are smokeless and very economical; perfect for cooking inside the hut.  They use just a tiny bit of wood or coal. This is Jenna, the Peace Corp Volunteer at Aid Africa. 
The Village Bobi
For now, I will throw myself into my work in Gulu.  I know with all of my heart that I am where I am supposed to be and doing what I am supposed to be doing.  I get this confirmation many times every day. I will write about my experiences and post pictures of this beautiful place.  Happy New Year everybody!
This woman needs extra help tying her stove because she is crippled. 
George is explaining the days program to the women. 
Time to take her stove home.  The next step is the mudding of it inside her hut.

No comments:

Post a Comment