Thursday, February 23, 2012

Meet Atto Sharon and Atimango Susan

Sharon and Susan are The Well of Hope Foundation's two newest additions to the Uganda School Fee Program.  I think you will fall in love with them as much as I have.  They are both survivors and have overcome much in their short lives.

ATTO SHARON
Atto Sharon  Born 1997 Age 15
Even without hands, Sharon can shell peanuts, write, and take care of all of her personal needs.

Sharon’s parents were the late Mr. Opira Jackson and the late Mrs Aloyo Haida.  She was born in late 1997 and is now 15 years of age. When Sharon was still only one year old, both of her parents were caught by the rebels and were killed in the bush leaving her alone in the house.  Baby Sharon, alone and looking for her parents, accidentally crawled into the fire.  Both her hands were severely burned.  Finding Sharon alone and in desperate shape, the Grandmother took her to Lacor Hospital. Baby Sharon lost both of her hands.  Now she is still with the Grandmother.
Sharon and I
Our Lady of Good Counsel Primary School
Sharon was first noticed by Rotarians Ben Abe and Ezra Teshome in 2006 when children in Gulu were still night commuting from their distant villages to the safety of a shelter in Gulu town during the war. Rotarians have provided Sharon with prosthesis hands for several years, but she out grew them or they didn’t fit right due to the odd way her hand stumps healed.  She is many years behind in education because of her village schools. 
Ben Abe with Rose, the Director of the school, and the Head Mistress
These are some of the things we had to buy for Sharon
Last October, a group of Rotarians donated money to pay for her school fees.  We put her in Our Lady of Good Counsel Primary Boarding School Level P4.  The Head Teacher, Rose, has reported that Sharon is catching up very quickly with the other girls her age.  It is the first time Sharon has ever been boarded.  She is making friends, learning fast, and is very happy.  We bought her the necessary shoes, mattress, school supplies, and all the personal supplies that she needed.  Her life has been changed forever!
Our Lady of Good Counsel Primary School boards only 28 primary children, so the family-like atmosphere is perfect for Sharon.

ATIMANGO SUSAN
Born 1998 14 Years
“I was 14 years old when her mother died of cancer.  My father was a soldier with the Ugandan People Defense Force (UPDF).  When he heard the news of the death of my mother, he just shot himself and died.   I was living with my Aunt in Hoima District.  Unfortunately, my aunt was having HIV/AIDS and she felt sick every day. One day I was sitting for examinations in P5 when my aunt went to the hospital. My class teacher told me that my aunt died that day.  I felt so sad.  That is why I did not finish my P5 level.  I want to thank you for sponsoring my Secondary School at Gulu College Level S1.  May the Lord Bless you my friend everywhere you go.  This is briefly the history of my life.”  Susan Atimango

If anyone is interested in more information about sponsoring these and many more of these very deserving young people, you can email me at rhosling@msn.com or call me at +256 785751370 (Uganda).  Also, check out The Well of Hope Foundation website at www.thewellofhopefoundation.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment