Friday, February 12, 2010

The Joy is Returning

This is 3 week old Sandy

Today I felt my heart being filled with Joy. I still have a long way to go, but the process is beginning. I was at St Jude’s Orphanage today for my first day of volunteer work. Frederick’s team of workers drove us the approximate 5 miles to the orphanage, and said they would pick us up at 5:00. I spent the first couple of hours talking with Francis, an Italian accountant that is working very hard to organize the accounting system. I tried to get QuickBooks to open but it has not been registered, so the program has locked. I will use my Pro Advisor status and get it unlocked today, but first I have to go buy a small phone so that I may make the USA call. Kayla and I have been unable to unlock our phones here in Gulu. The rest of the day, I held the smallest member of St Jude’s; little 3 week old Sandy! Sandy is a beautiful, teeny baby boy. His mother died from child birth. You will love the pictures. Sonya, I whispered in his ear for you. As I stood on the veranda holding this child and watching the other toddlers playing in the yard, I felt my heart filling with the joy I knew would happen doing this kind of service. God is so good to me!

Kayla and her little friends

This is the only way to cool off on a VERY hot day!  Notice Kayla in the background chatting with a young man! 
Kayla and I learned a few things on this, our first day away from our Gulu home. We need to carry more water with us because three bottles is not enough on a very hot day. Second, two boiled eggs are not enough food for lunch if all you ate for breakfast is 2 small tomatoes (me) or a banana (Kayla). By late afternoon we were starving and thirsty. We were given a tour of the other side of the orphanage where the disabled children live. Some of the kids have cerebral palsy, spinal bifida, muscular deficiency, a couple were paralyzed by falling out of a mango tree or falling off a boda boda (the motorcycle taxis). After our tour, it was time to meet out ride back to Gulu. We waited for 30 minutes and then I decided to ride back to town on a boda boda. Kayla was a bit apprehensive about riding on them, especially since we just witnessed two kids paralyzed from falling off them. I talked with the two drivers and explained to them that they MUST drive slowly with us, and that if I ever felt unsafe, I would get off their bike and walk away without paying them. Most ladies ride with both legs to one side of the bike (side saddle), but we would be straddling the seat and if we fell off, we would take the driver with us! They went so slow with us, it was almost embarrassing! The young man with Kayla on his bike had a great time with her. I reminded him she was only 15 years old; he was a happy boda boda driver! He gave us his number so that he and his friend could take us out to the orphanage again the next day. I think we have found our regular transportation around the town. It is fun!

Kayla and  on our boda bodas!


We met Frederick at his office and grabbed some rice and beans at a place called “Happy Nest”. After dinner, Kayla spent some time with her new friend Lucky Lucy, and I went out for the evening with my new best Gulu girlfriend, Grace Amono, President of the Gulu Rotary Club. We had a lovely evening talking and eating a snack at the “Dove’s Nest”.

Kayla and I in front of Frontline Engineering & Investment Ltd
On Tuesday, I remembered that I had Grace’s card in my purse, so we were able to connect again. She was on her way to a joint World Vision/Gulu Rotary Club meeting. World Vision and Rotary have joined forces to implement a $930,700 water, sanitation and hygiene project in Northern Uganda. I can’t believe I was able to sit in on the meeting and watch the formation of the official committee that will oversee this project! The committee was made of three Rotarians and three World Vision employees. World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization operating around the world to provide water, health, food, security, education, economic development resulting in poverty reduction and educational services to the world’s most needy. Everyone that knows me knows I am a Rotarian. I love Rotary. Tonight, will be my first Gulu Rotary Club meeting.


Before I close, I have a very interesting fact to share: kissing is not part of the Acholi (Gulu) culture! Except for a few young folk who are picking it up on the television, the men here have not been exposed to kissing! I thought kissing went back to Adam and Eve; I thought everyone in the world kissed! I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this bit of information because kissing is such an important part of a relationship in our American culture! Kissing is so much fun; I can’t believe they don’t know it!

I must jump into the cool shower now before another day of adventure and excitement begins. I actually love the cool water now. It is so refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment