Monday, October 25, 2010

A Birthday Party for Nysa

This is Shivika and her 3 year old daughter Nysa and I.
On Sunday, I was invited to Nysa’s 3rd birthday party at her home. She is the daughter of the physical therapist at the Karuna Vihar School. We have become friends. It was great to be invited to something so local and personal. The music and atmosphere was so jolly. The food was delicious, and the family was so very kind.

This is just a sampling of the beautiful saris that all the Indian women wear.
I want to pause a minute and try to describe the beautiful Indian ladies that surround me. Their Saris are elegant and stunning. The pants, the tunic, the scarf all match smartly in brilliant colors and materials and patterns. They are bejeweled from head to toe: several earrings, forehead jewel dot, nose ring, necklaces, bangles on their arms, and rings on their fingers, ankle bracelets that jingle when they walk, and toe rings. I can’t help but stare at their beauty and elegance. So much care and time has gone into the heavy makeup of their eyes. They are truly the most beautiful women as a whole that I have come across. I appear, I am sure, as quite plain to them in my simple slacks and shirts with very little jewelry or makeup on.

I forgot to mention that I spent another afternoon on Friday with my young friend, Karan, who took me to the top of the mountain to Missoorie on his motorcycle the first day I arrived in Dehradun. This time we went to a huge and beautiful Buddhist Monastery. You can see how beautiful it is in these pictures. I walked around the perimeter of the statue and twirled the “things” without skipping even one, as is customary tradition. We had lunch as well, and it was a great afternoon. His hospitality amazes me, and as I know he will be reading my blog, I want to thank him for really showing me the very best parts of his beloved city Dehradun. Because of him, I have seen many things in Dehradun that most tourists don’t get to experience. Thank you, Karan.

The Streets of Dehradun.

The Great Buddah Statue at the Buddhist Temple.
It is Monday now, and I have had the worst headache for two days and it worries me as I am rarely with headache. I thought perhaps it was from too much sugar Saturday night, but too much time has passed to be the sugar. The pain goes away during yoga and meditation exercises, but it immediately returns when it is over. Even Tylenol or Excedrin will not relieve it. I am also very tired and sleep 10-11 hours every night. It’s probably just a small bug, but when traveling, even a small bug becomes worrisome. I hope it is gone soon. Today, Monday, I went back to bed after walking and yoga to write my blogs and rest instead of going to the school and interacting with the kids. I don’t have the energy today for that. I will now finish this typing and then go to the resource center where I have internet and will check my email and post by new blogs and pictures.
A different view of the Buddhist Temple.
I send my love and thoughts to my children and to my friends all over this world. I hope all is well with all of you. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment