Thursday, October 21, 2010

Latika Roy Foundation...Why I am here!

Latika Roy Foundation


As I mentioned in my last blog, Latika Roy Foundation is a safe haven, a resource center, an early intervention center, an educational facility, and a vocational center for handicapped children. It also educates the public and ensures that the rights of all handicapped people are identified and protected in India. I spent my first full day there today with the staff and children.
This is the school for kids 5-15 that I spend my mornings. 
The cattle really do go where they want to go and do what they want to do!
I am walking to and from my guest house to the Resource Center and Kahuna Vihar School each day. Yes, I do get lost. When that happens, I either backtrack to the last place I recognize and turn a different way, or just ask a passerby. Asking is not always successful as many people don’t like to talk to strangers (he he, I’m the stranger), or they don’t speak English. I like to have the address of where I am going written down so that they can read it and point me in the right direction.
                                    
                                    Manju is the lead teacher of the "Fish" class.  This is my favorite!

Snack time
My day started unexpectedly at the Vocational Center because I was lost and just happened to run across this building that I recognized from the sign. I met the staff and the kids there. This is the place that handicapped kids 14 and up are taught a vocational skill. I visited the candle making area and purchased some beautiful candles. I was very impressed. Some of the young adults were inside putting the candles into bags for purchase. They are also taught to cook, make envelopes, and sew mobile phone bags, purses, quilts, and other handicrafts.
Ball therapy is fun time! 
Taking turns jumping on the trampoline!
After some time at the Vocational Center, I went to the School, where kids 5 to 14 get to interact, learn and play with other kids. I have to take a minute to express how impressed I am with the staff at every facility I have visited at Latika Roy. They are amazing people; so full of love and energy for the children. I spent the afternoon singing, clapping, playing, laughing, jumping and dancing with the most awesome, happy kids. I can’t even put into words how much fun I had. This is why I am here; to share my love with these children. I want to bring awareness to the important work that the Latika Roy Foundation is doing here in India. My goal will be to connect Rotary with the Latika Roy Foundation as a source of funding. I am meeting my first Rotarian today at 3:00.
Today we made playdough from scratch! 
P.E. is fun time!
After the children went home at 1:00, I went to the Resource Center where I can get wireless internet to check my email, update my blog, and do Face book. On my way home at 4:00, I visited a yoga place and signed up for a Yoga Class every evening at 5:00! I hurried home to change my clothes and attended my first yoga class. Yoga here is a bit different than I thought it would be. Maybe he was being nice to me as it was my first day? There were lots of breathing exercises, meditation, and chanting; not enough stretching and exercising. I hope it is different tonight. The stretches that we did felt fantastic and I was exhilarated and relaxed when I left. It was dark now, and I had to find my home in the night (another adventure). Oh yeah, when I asked about how safe it would be to go jogging on this certain path, I was told my only danger might be from a leopard, so I probably should not go alone. Guess jogging on that path wont be part of my schedule! I tried, and dont like jogging on the dirt roads. Maybe it will only be yoga for two weeks. Anyway, I fell asleep at 8:00pm last night and slept until 6:30 am. Guess I was tired! I can hardly wait for my new day to begin!

Blocks are good for many things! 
The greenness of this place reminds me of Hawaii.  It's a jungle here.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this blog. I know lot of information about car rental services in chennai from your article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this article. Outstation self drive cars tariff will be very helpful for your long distance trips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main benefit of road transport, that makes it the fundamental lifeline of the transport sector, is its capacity to deliver door-to-door, from source to destination, warehouse to warehouse, doorstep services. There is no other method of transportation that can provide this. Cartage, loading and unloading charges, and other feeder transit costs are all reduced as a result.
    Self drive cars near me

    ReplyDelete