Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hangzhou and Shanghai, China



We have a wonderful day planned in Hangzhou before heading back to Shanghai for our final day. In Hangzhou, we took a cruise on the West Lake. It is a very large fresh water lake; no fishing or swimming is allowed to keep it clean. Then we went to the famous Long Jiang tea demonstrations. We learned how green tea is harvested, how to tell the different grades of green tea and we were able to taste some quality green tea. Our tea man, Dr. Tea himself, was a real showman! He was a good salesman too . It was interesting to see the Chinese workers in the tea bushes picking the leaves. The tea gardens are huge and it was a very green, lush, beautiful place to visit. After lunch, we had a very long drive back to Shanghai. We are in Shanghai for the last two nights.

When we arrived in Shanghai in the evening, we went on an evening cruise on the Huang Pu River Cruise. Both sides of the river were lit up with many beautiful sky scrapers. It was very cold for me, so I stayed below deck near the window. Then they took us to the Putong and Nanjing Road shopping area for just a few minutes. This looked like Times Square to me. It is very bright, modern buildings, expensive brands and expensive prices. This is the modern part of Shanghai; nothing local about it. It was getting late, and our last day in Shanghai is a free day, so people can return for more shopping if they want tomorrow.

For my last full day in Shanghai, I slept in until 9am . I had a leisurely breakfast, and then joined some friends to go to the “Old City” of Shanghai. It was relaxing and a great day of leisure. I am not a real shopper, so I just like to watch people, look at the local things in the shops, and occasionally try the local street food. I have been lucky in that the street food has not made me sick.
I am with the President of the Rotary Club of Shanghai exchanging banners. 
Our Rotary Club of Shanghai meeting and dinner was on our last evening in Shanghai. It was a wonderful evening in a beautiful hotel. I exchanged banners with the Shanghai Club President, an Indian man. I wish I had written down his name. The club, although not officially chartered, is very active in service projects. They showed us slides of some of their projects, including the Gift of Life project. Many Shanghai Rotarians were at the meeting representing countries from all over the world. You might remember that Chinese passport holders are not allowed to be members of the Rotary Club. I am sure that all of this will eventually change as the Chinese government sees all of the good works and service that members of Rotary and the organization itself spreads all over the world. I exchanged banners, giving them a Kapolei, Hawaii banner and receiving their Shanghai banner.

Face booking and blogging is not allowed in China. I have been writing when possible along the way and just saving them. I will start uploading when I arrive in Dubai airport. I know you will love the pictures. I have learned so much about China. I never really thought passed the Great Wall and the Terra Cotta Warriors. I had no idea what adventures lay ahead of me and all the history I would learn along the way. I didn’t even have a China tour book like I always do when I travel to a new country! My mind has definitely enlarged and my life has been so enriched from this trip. I am still in awe at all that I saw and experienced and learned.
Lots of new friendships were made on this trip :) 
But the greatest thing that happened here is the new friends I made on the trip. I traveled with a wonderful group of 27 Rotarians, their spouses, and perhaps future Rotarians from the Seattle area. I have 26 new friends in my life. I also have some new friends in China! I want to publically thank Jesse and Lilly Tam for putting this China tour together and for their endless patience with everyone. It is very hard, and actually quite impossible, to keep everyone happy in a big group like this, yet Jesse solved the problems as they came up with such finesse and professionalism. As a Rotarian, I am very proud to represent America in China and to spread goodwill and better friendships all over the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment