Saturday, April 16, 2011

Kalang Village and Sabina



Bruce, Benson and Shawn from Seattle.
The Rotarian Rice Mill in Kalang being built by Frontline Engineering.
Today we took a visiting family from Seattle to see the building of the rice mill in Kalang Village, about an hour out of Gulu. They are here to buy beads for an NGO and do some volunteer work. We met them at the bus station when they arrived in town, and took them to St Jude’s where they had nice accommodations. It was nice to play host to our new friends. I love having visitors! I was only with them for a few days before I had to leave for China.
The rice mill is going up! 
This is me with Blessed, from St. Jude's Orphange
Now back to Kalang. A Canadian Rotary Club donated $12,000 for the building of the mill and store. The building of the rice mill is coming along just fine. We were also sent to Kalang look at the progress of Sabina’s mud thatched house by a Rotarian who had found out she did not have her own place to live. Last October, he gave the village money to build her a home and wanted us to send pictures to him. Sabina is the little lady that two years ago had the courage to stand up in the crowd during a celebration and ask for something meaningful and necessary for her village when a few Rotarians stopped for a last minute visit. Her request was what motivated me to help raise funds two years ago for the Maize Grinding Mill in 2008, and it was dedicated in 2009. Now, a rice mill, store, pit latrine and a possible bore hole well is being built in the same area for this village. All because Sabina spoke up when women are traditionally not encouraged to speak out.
Children in the village of Kalang
We gave the kids a soccer ball! 
Although it wasn’t me that donated money for Sabina’s house, she remembered me from my visit in 2009 and that I was connected to the grinding mill, and she was so happy to see me again. I think she thought I was responsible for building her house too, because she gifted me with this beautiful rooster. I actually had to hold the rooster and show how much I loved her gift. I wanted to give it back to her, but was told to keep it or she would be insulted. I am definitely not going to eat it! So maybe I will keep it and start a little chicken farm of my own in Gulu. I just need a few hens to keep my rooster happy!

Sabina
Sabina and I in front of her house which still needs a door and a floor.
Sabina gifted me a rooster!  I am actually holding a rooster!!
I have also attached a few pictures of the neighborhood kids. The pictures are just precious. Rotary is really making a difference in the lives of the people of Kalang and all over the world!
The kids eating breakfast at St Judes Orphanage.
A child in Kalang Village. Someone is behind her that I didnt even notice at first!
Now you can see the child behind the pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment